- With the P of product, he has carefully checked whether the product meets the needs of the mark. Whether the product is of good quality, answered the user goals, is competitive and, above all, whether there is a market for it.
- With the P of place he has made a choice for his sales channel. Sales in the store, via ambulatory locations, such as market, boat, car, etc.) or via the modern electronic highway of, for example, internet sales.
- With the P of personnel, he makes clear how, whether and how much personnel he has to use to make his company successful. What qualities do the employees need? Do they have these qualities and how does he keep that quality in order? (HR management)
- With the P of promotion, the entrepreneur has determined how he puts his product and company on the market. What advertising resources he wants to use. Which channels he wants to use and which images he wants to communicate with the consumer in order to achieve the right perception.
- And with the P of price he has determined which income and expenses he provides. What price does the market accept and with what costs is its continuity best guaranteed?
So you still remember them, the 5 P’s
They are good constants, but they are also in a market that is not constant. How do the five P work in turbulent times?
Business advisers and change managers often conclude that the argumentation of the 5 P’s had a high historical explicability but sporadically high current affairs. Sometimes the underlying analysis was not very focused on changes and adjustments to market conditions. Necessary changes and adjustments of strategic choices are never automatic.
In the handling of the 5 P’s there is no autopilot that adjusts the course if circumstances change. Entrepreneurs are then surprised if the outcomes do not change in changing circumstances. After all, if you always give what you have given, you get what you have always given.
In view of this need for change, I am inclined to add a sixth P. Sorry my original version was Dutch so the wording is not totally correct anymore, but you got the idea.
P from “Prullenbak” (trashbin)
By adding this P you throw all previous analyzes and arguments overboard. You are now forced with a clean slate and do the exercises again. As an entrepreneur or consultant you have to work with changed circumstances and with new results.